Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Mr D's Pizza Reopening


My family and I have pizza a lot and I do mean A LOT. So much so that I am just tired of pizza.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT !

We recently heard that Mr D's had reopened. This was very exciting news to my boyfriend and I despite my new found hate for pizza.

For those in Milwaukee, who haven't heard of Mr D's WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!!

No I'm just kidding. Every 80's baby, who grew up on the South Side of Milwaukee has a story of their family ordering Mr. D's on the weekend or taking them to the restaurant to eat. It's the pizza we all grew up on as kids. They also served many other Italian foods. I used to love their stuffed mushrooms and their garlic bread mmmmmm :). See there go the memories. Anyway the first restaurant to my knowledge was located on the corner of 21st and Greenfield on Milwaukee's South Side. Unfortunately the restaurant closed and a lot of people were very disappointed.


There was an attempt made at a new Mr D's restaurant called "Mr. D's 2". The location of the new restaurant was in West Allis, which is a lot further from where the original Mr D's was originated. As a suburb of Milwaukee, West Allis is an a lot nicer area. Which I believe would attract a different kind of customer in turn eliminating the old customer base the restaurant had.

The new location was personally a big issue for us because we were used to walking up the block to Mr. D's or getting delivery to our home. The convenience factor was gone, and Mr D's was dead to us. I am honestly not even sure if "Mr D's 2" is still open today.



Now our visit to the reopened Mr D's. It is located back in the Heart of the South on 6th St in Lincoln Village :). It's a new location but it had that old feel. and it is very close to where it used to be.

The restaurant is really huge but it was empty for a Friday, which was a little disappointing. I soon learned the reason why the restaurant might not get a lot of eat in business. The waitress was nice but inattentive and not as friendly as she could be. She was also not dressed appropriately. My one year old spilled his water all over the table and floor and she did not say a word. She didn't offer extra napkins, nothing. I think adding some crayons and coloring pages to the tables with kids could help them deal with the wait time a little better. We were also not given any place mats to eat over. There also was only the one waitress to handle phone calls and the dining area. I guess I don't know that they needed anyone else besides maybe someone to replace the current waitress, since the dining room had only one other table occupied. It was also a very open space and a cold atmosphere due to the lack of customers.

The waitress did however offer us more soda and water for the baby at one point and the Garlic Bread and Onion Rings came out right away. They were hot and delicious. The pizza also came out timely and HOT. We got a sausage and pepperoni pizza and it was so delicious. They make the best pizza crust. Air bubbles develop in the crust while it bakes and when I was little growing up with 4 sisters we would all fight over the pizza with the air bubble because it's so good.

At the end of the day the food is exactly the same. It's perfect. The guy who made the pizza thanked us for coming on the way out and that was good also. Not to mention the tab was only $31.00 for a large pizza, onion rings, garlic bread, and 2 pitchers of soda.

As for dining in with my kids again. That's not something I anticipate happening again but takeout/ delivery and maybe a date night with my love will definitely happen in the future.


PS. Please never close again Mr. D's and no more moving!





2 comments:

  1. Would like to get over there someday and see if it is as good as it used to be. But yeah, Mr.d's on 21st street was the best pizza ANYWHERE hands down ! Wish I had some now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We order delivery from this new one almost every weekend. It's good.

      Delete